"CUSTOMS AND CULTURES OF THE WORLD
64 pages each
What better guides to help students learn about the world than teens of the world? This unique series looks at 12 countries, one of which is the Navajo Nation inside the United States, through the eyes of both expert authors and real-life teens who live in those countries. The author provides background information on the history, culture, customs, politics, and economy of the country, while the teen describes for readers their points of view on teen life there. The teen authors not only inform about facts, but explore their own thoughts on ideas on the future of their nations. It's one-on-one learning and exploring.
Each title in this series includes the series foreword by Professor Kum-Kum Bhavnani, a sociologist at the University of California, Santa Barbara, and an award-winning filmmaker with a focus on international women's studies. Prof. Bhavnani was born in London of Indian parents and has traveled and taught around the world, including more than a dozen summers hosting international students in London. She reflects on the importance to everyone, especially young people, of understanding how cultures of the world interact.
Each title in CUSTOMS AND CULTURES OF THE WORLD includes color photos throughout, and back matter including an index and further reading lists for books and internet resources.
Key Icons appear throughout the books in this series in an effort to encourage library readers to build knowledge, gain awareness, explore possibilities, and expand their viewpoints through our content rich nonfiction books. Key Icons in this series are:
* Words to Understand shown at the front of each chapter with definitions. These words are set in boldfaced color type in that chapter, so that readers are able to reference back to the definitions, building their vocabulary and enhancing their reading comprehension.
* Sidebars are highlighted graphics with content-rich material within that allows readers to build knowledge and broaden their perspectives by weaving together additional information to provide realistic and holistic perspectives.
* Text-Dependent Questions are placed at the end of each title referring back to subjects covered within. They challenge the reader's comprehension of the material they have just read, while sending the reader back to the text for more careful attention to the evidence presented there.
* Research Projects are provided at the end of each title as well and give readers suggestions for projects that encourage deeper research and analysis.
* Educational Videos are offered in chapters through the use of a QR code, that, when scanned, takes the student to an online video showing a moment in history, a speech, or an instructional video. This gives the readers additional content to supplement the text.
* A Series Glossary of Key Terms is included in the backmatter containing terminology used throughout the series. Words found here broaden the read
ALL CONTENTS ON THIS SITE ARE PROTECTED BY COPYRIGHT. USERS ARE NOT PERMITTED TO MODIFY, DISTRIBUTE, PUBLISH, TRANSMIT OR CREATE DERIVATIVE WORKS OF ANY MATERIAL FOUND ON THIS SITE FOR ANY PUBLIC OR COMMERCIAL PURPOSES.